Microsoft Dynamics 365 Security Model is most important feature. Also users must understand level of security to restrict access based on level of users in organization. Since it is huge system therefore users need difference level of security to restrict data access throughout the system.
Types of Security:
Focuses on grouping a set of privileges together that describe the responsibilities (or tasks that can be performed) for a user. Types of security roles are:
- Global: Global gives a user access to all records in the organization.
- Deep: Deep gives a user access to records in the user’s business unit and all business units subordinate to the user’s business unit/
- Local: Local gives a user access to records in the user’s business unit.
- Basic: Basic gives a user access to records that the user owns, objects that are shared with the user, and objects that are shared with a team that the user is a member of.
As global refers to organizational access level, deep refers to parent: child business units access level, local refers to business unit access level and basic refers to user access level. Likewise None specifies that no access is allowed.
Focuses on access rights to specific records. Access rights can be:
- Create: Required to make a new record.
- Read: Required to open a record to view the contents.
- Write: Required to make changes to a record.
- Delete: Required to permanently remove a record.
- Append: Required to associate a record with the current record.
- Assign: Required to give ownership of a record to another user.
- Share: Required to give access to a record to another user while keeping your own access.
Restricts access to specific high business impact fields in an entity only to specified users or teams. Hence field level security can be used when certain fields associated with an entity. And that contain data that are more sensitive than the other fields. Therefore you need to impose additional security on those fields.
Hierarchy security model is an extension to the existing Microsoft Dynamics 365 security models. Therefore it offers a more granular access to records for an organization. Furthermore there are two types of security models in hierarchical security. First is manager hierarchy which is based on the management chain or direct reporting structure. Second is position hierarchy in which an admin will define various job positions and arrange them in position hierarchy.