Application Insights is an extensible Application Performance Management (APM) service for web developers on most of the platforms. Use it to monitor your live web application. It includes powerful analytics tools to help you analyze issues and to understand what users actually do with your app. It's designed to help you continuously improve performance and usability. It works for apps on a large variety of platforms including .NET, Node.js and J2EE, hosted on-premises or in the cloud.
What can you do with Application Insights?
- - Detect and diagnose exceptions and application performance issues
- - Detect trends in application performance and behavior, identify usage patterns, and get
- - Get answers to your tough questions, and take your applications to the next level fast answers to probing questions about your website performance
- - Quickly get started from within Visual Studio, or monitor existing applications without redeploying
- - Seamlessly integrate with your DevOps pipeline using Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS), GitHub, and webhooks
- - Monitor Azure websites, including those hosted in containers, plus websites on-premises and with other cloud providers
It integrates with your DevOps process and has connection points to various development tools. It can monitor and analyze telemetry from mobile apps by integrating it with Visual Studio App Center. You get automatic instrumentation for ASP.NET applications and application telemetry data right out of the box—including usage, exceptions, requests, performance, and logs.
There are two offerings for Application Insights – Basic, and Enterprise.
Pay based on the volume of telemetry your application sends, with a 1 GB free allowance per month. This free data allowance gives you a perfect way to try out Application Insights as you get started, and it also allows you to use Application Insights for free on an ongoing basis for debugging and low-volume applications.
Pay for the number of nodes that hosts your application, and you get a daily allowance of data per node. Additional data beyond the daily allowance is charged per GB. A "node" is a server, or Platform-as-a-Service instance that runs your application, and from which we receive telemetry. The Enterprise option also gives unlimited, continuous export of data at no extra charge.
Azure Application Insights offer to pay for what you need. With Application Insights there is no upfront cost, no termination fees.