A Microsoft Dynamics 365 deployment consists of the following databases:
MSCRM_CONFIG: A single database that contains Microsoft Dynamics 365 metadata, such as configuration and location information that is specific to each organization database.
OrganizationName_MSCRM: One or more organization databases. This is the database where Microsoft Dynamics 365 data is stored, such as all records and activities, and metadata details like entity relationships.
Database maintenance for the Dynamics 365 databases should include regular backups, frequent security patch evaluation, and health check monitoring.
There are two types of backups: system backups and on demand backups.
System backups System backups take place without you having to do anything.
About CRM Online system backups:
- All your instances are backed up.
- System backups occur daily.
- System backups are retained up to three days. Check your expiration date.
- System backups do not count against your storage limits.
- System backups are identified as created by System on the Manage backups page.
On demand backups With on demand backups, you can make your own backup before making some significant customization change or applying a version update.
About CRM managed on demand backups:
- You can back up Production and Sandbox instances.
- You can only restore to a Sandbox instance. To restore to a Production instance, first switch it to a Sandbox instance. See Switch an instance.
- Only CRM Online 2016 Update 1 or later versions are supported for backup.
- On demand backups are retained for up to three days. Check your expiration date.
- On demand backups are identified as created by someone other than System and by the
- presence of Edit | Delete | Restore in the details section. System backups only have Restore.
You can quickly get a real-time status of your Dynamics 365 (online) and Office 365 services. The dashboard on the Office 365 Admin Center provides a comprehensive view of
the service health of your online services. If users are having trouble signing in to Dynamics 365 (online), check this page to see if there is a service outage.